The Bank of Ireland building is located on College Green in Dublin City. This was the World’s first purpose-built two-chamber parliament house. It served as both the chambers for the Lords and the Commons for the Irish Parliament of ‘The Kingdom of Ireland’ for most of the 18th century until the 1801 Act of Union shifted power back to London. It was originally designed by Edward Pearce during the period 1729 -39, the porticos were added by James Gandon between 1785 and 1797 and the curving screen walls were added by Francis Johnston in 1803 when the building was converted to a bank. After the 1801 Act many of the ascendancy also moved back to London and Dublin began a slow slide into disrepair with the famous ‘Gardiner Estate’ going bankrupt. Many of the glorious Georgian streets went into decline and many of the fine houses were split up into tenements. This building was sold to the Bank of Ireland under the condition that it should not be used for political assemblies. The building was so admired that many architects have since copied features of it’s design and incorporated these in buildings around the World such as the British Museum in London and Capitol Hill in Washington.