The Clock Tower is located on Waterford Quays in Waterford City. It was built in 1863 when Waterford was Ireland’s busiest industrial port. It had the largest ship building yards in the country (before being surpassed by Belfast) and traded to 400 international ports all over the World. During this period there was a number of large scale public works projects built including this Clock Tower which is one of the best known landmarks in the City. It was was originally known as the Fountain Clock (as it had troughs for working horses to drink from) and the mechanisms for the clock and fountain are still of technical and engineering interest.