Cong Abbey was founded on the former site of St Feichins Monastery by the great High King Turlough Mor O’Connor in 1135. The Abbey contains some of Ireland’s finest examples of early architecture including Gothic windows, Romanesque doors, clustered pillars, arches, standing columns and floral capitals. In 1198, his son Rory, was also buried here however his remains were later moved to Clonmacnoise. A population of 3000 Cenobitic Monks resided within it’s walls and would have studied history, poetry, music, sculpture and the illumination of books. They were also skilled craftsmen in metal work, engraving, and harp making. Over the years, Cong Abbey was attacked and rebuilt many times and has served many purposes including, a hide out for the O’Connors, a hospital for the sick and a shelter for the destitute.