Dunree Lighthouse is located nearly 150-feet above sea level on Dunree Head. It has spectacular views over Lough Swilly across to the Fanad Pennisula and out to the wild north Atlantic. It was built in 1876 after the Duke of Abercorn requested better lighting for the Swilly and suggested converting the two Martello towers located at Macamish and Dunree. The government had no intention of disposing of their Martello towers and so, after a survey, chose this position above Dunree Fort for a new lighthouse. It was also decided that the building should not be more than one story high and so the lighthouse was designed with the lantern attached at ground level to the front of the dwelling. In 1927 the light was converted to unwatched acetylene which meant that John Murphy, the keeper at the time, no longer had to keep a night watch.