Gibney’s pub was previously known as The Abercorn Tavern until 1937 when James Joseph Gibney bought it for £2500. It has remained in the same family for 5 generations. The Gibneys were early entrepreneurs of the pub trade in Dublin owning The Royal Hotel in Howth, The Phoenix Bar in Parkgate Street (once the famous refuge of Michael Collins) and The Abbey Tavern in Howth. Inside the bar is the Well Room which was previously used as the Wash Room where all the bottles were washed before bottling. It holds some 14,000 gallons of water and was used for many years as the village well. Malahide is one of the most beautiful villages in Ireland and is a great place to wander around the shore or around the beautiful gardens of Malahide Castle.