This is Howth Martello Tower located in Howth. north co.Dublin. It was built in 1805 and is strategically positioned overlooking Howth Harbour and out beyond to Ireland’s Eye. The fear of an invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte reached panic proportions at the end of the 18th century and this was the reason why the British built Martello Towers all around the Irish and English coastlines. The name “Martello” is derived from the name of a tower at Mortella Point in the gulf of Fiorenzo. Nearly all are circular in shape and made from locally sourced stone. The entrance doorway of the towers is 3 meters from the ground so a ladder then could be removed to protect against an invader. In Dublin, only 21 towers remain, many are sadly derelict, some were demolished and some are privately owned. Today, Howth’s Martello Tower house’s a vintage radio museum that exhibits radios and gramophones from the early 1900s to the present day.