Johnstown Castle is located on the 150 acre Johnstown Castle Estate near Rathaspeck in County Wexford. The original castle was built in the late 12th century by the Esmonde family of Lincolnshire soon after the Norman invasion of Ireland. In 1649, Oliver Cromwell spent a night here prior to the Sack of Wexford and soon after expelled the Esmondes who were Catholics. The estate was bought by the Grogan family in 1692 whose descendant Cornelius Grogan was hanged for his part in the 1798 Rebellion. In 1810 the estate was restored to his brother John Knox Grogan, who, over the next 60 years with his son, Hamilton Knox Grogan-Morgan, created Johnstown Castle as it stands today. The ornamental grounds and gardens were designed by Daniel Robertson who is famed for designing the garden terraces at Powerscourt Estate, Co. Wicklow, and Wells House in Co. Wexford. The grounds are greatly enhanced by two lakes with folly towers which are populated with a range of waterfowl. In 1945, Maurice Victor Lakin gave the estate to the Irish state in lieu of taxes after which it was taken over by Teagasc and used for agricultural research. It is now open to the public and houses the excellent Irish Agricultural Museum.