Kilgobbin Castle is located near the village of Stepaside in south Dublin. This fortified tower house was built by the Walshe Family in c.1476. The Walshe family were the ‘marcher lords’ of the area and controlled extensive tracts of lands in this area. Many of these Irish castles were built to take advantage of a £10 royal subsidy introduced by King Edward VI which guaranteed a certain income for anyone who built a castle to defend the area around Dublin known as the pale. These castles were built within sight of each other and around the outer edges of counties Dublin, Kildare, Meath and parts of Louth. This offered some protection for the people living under ‘The Crown’ from ‘The Wild Irish’. During this turbulent time the Walshe family, being Catholic, ended up being on the wrong side and eventually had their castles confiscated or destroyed in Balally, Kilgobbin, Carrickmines, Brennnastown, Shanganagh, and Old Connaught. This castle was occupied until the 1700s but fell into disrepair by 1834. It is claimed to be haunted by a figure wearing a suit of armor and by a woman carrying water and who has coins rattling in her apron! (please note..it is now on private land).