Kilgobbin Cross is located in Stepaside village in south co. Dublin. It was found in 1800 when a wall for the nearby graveyard was being built. It stands over 8 feet tall and can be estimated to be from the 10th century as the cloak covering the figure of Jesus is ankle length. What is more interesting about this national monument is that it was found set into a more ancient bullaun stone on its base. This may predate the cross by hundreds (before Christianity arrived in Ireland) or even thousands of years. According to folklore, such stones had a magical significance as the belief that rainwater collecting in the bowl had special healing properties. The name ‘Kilgobbin’ is believed to have been named after the 6th-century saint Gobban who was reputedly the master architect of churches in Ireland at the time.