The Dromodonnell Stone Cross in Castlewellan is a modern replica of a 10th century cross that once stood in the Drumgooland graveyard until the late 1700’s. It was then set into the north gable wall of the Old School House and during this time the cross took on its present name. It’s significance ties into the local legend that Saint Patrick, when preaching here was shown a sacred standing stone marked with a circle symbolizing a moon goddess. He then made the mark of a Latin cross through the circle and blessed the stone, hereby making the first Celtic Cross. The original cross is now safely housed in Castlewellan Forest Park and is now designated as a ‘Monument in State Care’.