This is the last remaining tower of the old Derry Jail located on Bishop Street in Derry City. Derry’s first prison was built around 1620 but was replaced a number of times. This tower dates from 1791 and it closed it’s doors in 1953 and was then demolished in 1971 to make way for the redevelopment of the Fountain Estate nearby. It has been the scene of many executions including the time in 1820 when three highwaymen were convicted of the murder of a Henry O’Hagan who escaped whilst awaiting execution, but were recaptured and and hanged. The last execution took place in August 20, 1908. Over the centuries the jail has incarcerated many republicans, the most famous being Wolfe Tone, leader of the United Irishmen, and Eamon de Valera, later to be President of Ireland. It is now used as a Heritage Centre and houses artifacts from WWI up to the present day.