Slade Castle was built by the Laffin family in the late 1400s. The Laffins were among the first wave of Anglo-Norman colonists to arrive in Ireland after the invasion of 1169 and managed to hold on to their property until the 1641 Rebellion. The castle was then used for storage until the 19th century when it was recorded that it had been converted into three ‘tenements’ for three families. This conversion involved the addition of new windows, doors, and external stairs and each of the tenants paid five shillings rent per year. When the castle was taken over by the Office of Public Works in the 1940s most of these alterations were removed. The castle is now beautifully preserved and still has many features including vaulted ceilings, a machicolation, a living room, a garderobe (toilet), and even a murder hole!