Dunsoghly Castle, St Margarets, County Dublin     15th century

Dunsoglhy Castle is located on private land at the very end of the runway of Dublin Airport. It is one of the few 15th century fortified tower houses in Ireland to have survived totally intact. It consists of a central four story block and square corner towers. It was built by Sir Thomas Plunkett whose family were one of the few premier Catholic peers of Ireland and held the titles ‘Barons of Kileen’ and the ‘Earls of Fingal’. The 500 year old wooden roof is probably the last in the country to survive in the country. This could be due to the fact that the castle was occupied by the same family up until the 1870’s. Its construction techniques have been copied and used as a model for Rothe House, Kilkenny Castle and Bunratty Castle. There is a small chapel beside the castle dated to 1573. Above the doorway are interesting stone carvings representing the ‘Instruments of the Passion’.