Malahide Castle is located in north county Dublin. The first castle here was built in 1185 by Sir Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied King Henry II to Ireland. The Talbot family loved the place so much that they lived here for nearly 800 years until 1973, making it one of the longest continuously inhabited castle in Ireland by the same family. It was considerably enlarged during the reign of Edward IV around 1470 and the towers were added in 1765. Times were however not always easy for the Talbots; on the morning of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, 14 members of the family sat and had breakfast together for the last time as none of them returned. Dublin County Council bought the property and its 265 acres in 1975 giving the public access to some of the finest period interiors in the country and also to the beautiful botanical gardens.