St Alphonsus’ Church is located in Barntown in county Wexford. It was built in 1851 to the designs of Augustus Welby Pugin- the foremost British architect of the 19th century. He was also an extraordinarily gifted artist and designed ceramics, stained glass, wallpapers, textiles, memorial brasses and church plates etc. During his career Pugin converted to Roman Catholicism, a conversion which left him filled with a fervent desire to express his faith through architecture. Pugin was to die through overwork at the age of forty in 1852. He is chiefly remembered for his pioneering role in the Gothic Revival style and his work culminated in the interior design of the Houses of Parliament. The interior of this church should not be missed.