The original building here, Straffan House, was built in 1832 during the Regency era by Hugh Barber of the wine firm ‘Barber and Guestier’ and it’s design was unsurprisingly based on a French chateau. During it’s construction he purchased Barberstown Castle to live in so times must have been tough! Over the years the property has been owned by a number of people including the film producer Kevin Mc Clory, property developer Patrick Gallagher and property magnate Alan Ferguson. The house was purchased in 1988 by The Jefferson Smurfit Group and transformed into the present K Club, which opened it’s doors in 1991. One of the K Club’s greatest assets is the room dedicated to Ireland’s greatest painter, Jack B Yeats (1871-1957). The ‘Yeats Room’ is hung with some of the finest masterpieces ever painted in this country and is widely regarded as his most complete collection in private ownership. The 5 star hotel complex also contains two premier golf courses, both designed by Arnold Palmer. The Palmer Course was the venue for the 2006 Ryder Cup.