Barberstown Castle is located in Straffan. co.Kildare. It was built around c.1500 on the grounds of an earlier Norman castle built by Nicholas Barby in 1288. Over the next 800 years, it has passed into the ownership of 37 different families including William Sutton(1630), Lord Kingstown (1689), Bartholomew Van Homreigh, the Lord Mayor of Dublin (1703), Mr. Hugh Barton, the wine merchant who constructed the nearby K Club (1830’s), Nora Devlin, who converted it to a hotel in 1971. Eric Clapton, the World famous guitarist, who purchased the property in 1979 and sold it to the current owner in 1987. The current owner, Ken Healy, lives on the property and has renovated it from a 10 bedroom guesthouse with three bathrooms to an incredible 59 bedroom Failte Ireland approved 4 Star Hotel. It is now also a member of Ireland’s Blue Book of Country House Hotels & Restaurants. Renovations in 1996 revealed a previously undiscovered tunnel that links the castle to the nearby church in Straffan that is thought to have been used during penal times.