The Monk’s Fishing House, Cong. County Mayo        c. 1500

The Monk’s Fishing House is located on the former grounds of Cong Abbey. The remains of Cong Abbey have been praised as featuring some of the finest examples of early gothic architecture and masonry in Ireland. This ingenious structure was built sometime in the 16th century on a platform over the River Cong. A small arched opening allows the river to flow underneath the floor of the building and a trapdoor allowed the monks to drop a net to catch fish. A line was then connected to the kitchen in the monastery to alert of a fresh catch. The house also had a chimney and a fireplace to keep the monks nice and warm whilst fishing.  A perfect retreat!