St Macculin’s Church is an interesting building comprising of a 9th century round tower, a 15th century defensive tower and a 19th century church. Lusk derives its name from an Irish word ‘lusca’ which means cave or underground chamber. The original monastery here was founded in the 6th century by St Macculin and the round tower is all that remains of it. The 15th century fortified tower had three more round towers added to each corner to give the building extra strength and balance. It houses a number of medieval tombs including that of James Bermingham (1527) and a fine double effigy tomb of Sir Christopher Barnwall and his wife, Marion Sharl (1589). The Victorian church was added in 1847 is now the Lusk Heritage Centre. Lusk village is also known to be the birthplace of Cuchulainn’s wife, Emer. It is now classified as a National Monument.