Baldongan Church & Castle are located between the towns of Lusk & Skerries in north county Dublin. This national monument was once the site of an ancient fort. This was followed by a church built by the Knights Templars in the 13th century which was then fortified in the 15th century. Records show that in the 16th century the castle became the property of the De Birmingham family, then to Lord of Howth and then to the Barnwells until the Cromwellian invasion of 1649. A group of Irish anti-Parliamentarians called ‘The Confederates’ held the castle until 1652 when it was pummeled by the artillery belonging to the forces of Colonel Trafford. 200 men caught within the walls were executed except two priests who had also sided with ‘The Confererates’. These men were tortured and finally deported to France. There is a local name given to a nearby field called the ‘Nuns Stood’ supposedly where the ‘Nuns of Baldongan’ stood and watched the utter destruction of the castle.