Farmleigh Estate is located in Phoenix Park, Dublin City and was originally a small Georgian house. It was purchased by Edward Cecil Guinness on his marriage to his cousin, Adelaide Guinness in 1873. Edward, the great-grandson of Arthur Guinness, founder of the eponymous brewery, became the first Earl of Iveagh in 1919. The house began it’s transformation to the designs of Irish architect James Franklin Fuller who refurbished the existing house and added the 3rd storey. The interiors are a mish-mash of styles ranging from the Classical, Jacobean, Louis XV, Louis XVI and Georgian. The 78 acre estate was purchased from the Guinness family by the Irish Government in 1999 for €29.2m and the house has since been carefully refurbished by the Office of Public Works. Farmleigh is now used as the premier accommodation for visiting dignitaries, guests of the nation, high level government meetings and for public enjoyment.