The Blue Light Pub was established around 1870 and is located in Barnacullia in South County Dublin. Its name originates from the story that during the mid-1800’s when the customs officers ‘clocked off’ in Dunlaoghaire Harbour a light signal would be sent up the hill to this location. Another light signal would then be sent back out into the bay using an old blue ship’s lantern to let smugglers know that the coast was clear to land illegal booty such as rum, tobacco, wine, and brandy. Barnacullia (‘Top of the Woods’) has a long tradition of quarrying granite and stone cutting as the local stone has been used to build Dublin’s finest buildings and churches. It has a great mix of turf fires, local banter, and rocking music and due to its location at 700 feet above sea level has the finest views of Dublin City and Dublin Bay. It is the only pub in Dublin that still sells turf!