The Hellfire Club is located on top of Mount Pelier Hillin south county Dublin. It was built in 1725 by William ‘Speaker’ Conolly as a hunting lodge for his Rathfarnham estate. It was originally known as ‘Mount Pelier House’ and has spectacular views over the entire City of Dublin. Connolly was reputed to have used stones from a nearby neolithic passage tomb during it’s construction and the local were of course superstitious and warned Conolly that ‘no luck would come to the building’. One year after it’s completion an enormous storm blew off the roof and this of course was attributed to the devils work. Conolly, it seems, wasn’t really bothered and replaced the roof with the heavy stone slab roof that can still be seen today, he did however die a few years later in 1729! The lodge was sold to Richard Parsons in 1735 who used it as his base for ‘The Hellfire Club’ whose clubs became associated with wild drunken and excessive parties. The president of this establishment was named ‘The King of Hell’ and reputedly dressed up like Satan, with horns, wings and cloven hooves. One custom was to leave the vice-chair unoccupied for the devil – in whose honor the first toast was always drunk! The building has since been stripped of it’s fine features and been vandalized on a number of occasions including the time, when the roof was covered in tar and set alight as a demonstration against the arrival of Queen Victoria in Dublin in 1849. There is ‘talk’of a new cable car being built to the summit with a coffee shop and interpretative centre..bring it on.